Monday, July 15, 2013

Weekend Thrifting Finds plus creepy doll alert!

Well kids, it was another slim week for finds at the thrifts. We went to all 7 of our usual stops but even the Hubster didn't find a thing worth buying. I did manage to pick up a couple of things, but it seems like the really dandy stuff just doesn't exist any more.  Hopefully, things will pick up soon.

While I didn't actually buy much, it was definitely a week of Pyrex sightings.  I saw some Terra (first time seeing it in the wild), some Gooseberry, some of the UPC pattern (I forget the real name), lots of Americana and a couple of Primary bowls.  I didn't need the 404 that I saw, having bought my second one just last week, but I was tempted by the 402.  The paint was nice and shiny (mine is quite matte), but it was chipped at the bottom.  It didn't seem worth changing out one problem for another, so I left it behind.

It was also a week of random people talking to me.  Now, I consider myself a reasonably friendly person, but when a total stranger just starts talking to me out of nowhere, it makes me a little uneasy.  I mean, I'm glad you think my eyeglass frames are nice, but I don't want to get into a whole discussion about them with you.  While I was looking for Tupperware, a woman walked up to me and said "I can't buy much 'cause I have my husband with me.  I should have lef' his ass at home."

How does one reply to that?  "Yeah, probably"?  I just smiled pleasantly and moved on.

Anyway.  Here's what I got:


1.  Tupperware!  This is the first piece of plain white Tupperware I've purchased.  What's the official name?  "Frost White"?  Something like that.  Pretty sure this is a one-quart size, so it will be perfect for mixing up some Tang.  Goodwill, $1.00



2.  Pyrex!  This pie plate was somewhat dirty but in otherwise pristine condition.  No chips or utensil marks, and the Flamingo pink is beautiful and bright (I don't think the color translated well in the photo.)  I've wanted a Pyrex pie plate because I've heard that piecrust comes out best in Pyrex, but now I'm wondering something.  Does that apply only to the clear Pyrex, or the opal stuff, too?  Does anybody know?  Goodwill, $2.00

Oops, almost forgot to add this.  Not thrifted, but I got some coupons in the mail from MicroCenter (home of the sale flyers with print so small I can't even read it) and walked out of the store with this:
3.  Weird, off-brand wireless router!  Free.  I know!  I've never heard of this brand before, and it's not something I need myself, but my brother doesn't have WiFi in his house, so I thought I'd give this to him and get him into the 21st century.

Okay.  I didn't buy this, but it practically screamed at me from the shelf and of course, I texted a picture of it to The Girl Child:
Click to embiggen.  Do eet!

Creepy doll!  OMG, what were they thinking when they made this (and what about that doll in the background with the O Face?)?  Was there ever a child who said "Mommy, I want a doll that looks like it's going to bite me!"  Yeesh.

I can't decide whether it looks more like the Zuni Fetish doll:


or Diana Ross:

Opinions?




Linking up with all the deliciousness at Sir Thrift A Lot




16 comments:

  1. Great Pyrex Pie plate the doll your right what was the person thinking.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, when I see coloured Pyrex pie plates, I always want to put vegetables in it. For some reason, its seems almost too desserts or sugary if I used a coloured Pyrex. strange, I know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed--that is strange! But that's why we love you, so no worries!

      Delete
  3. It looks more like Diana Ross.

    Sometimes I like when the randoms chat... I'm usually the one they seem to flock to... but sometimes ya know, just shut up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm leaning towards Diana as well.
      I'm much too shy to enjoy a chat with a total stranger. Very little in life stresses me out more!

      Delete
  4. The dolls...the dolls...the nightmares...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And unfortuntately, every single thrift store has a special department chock full of creepy, porcelain dolls.

      Delete
  5. As to strangers talking to you ... remember some of us have a lonely life at home,maybe not the kindest nicest husband and figure in a thrift store we all have that in common, looking for a treasure, so may somehow think talking to everyone in the store is okay even if some of you don't think so. Loneliness does that to people. really.
    Glad you found some goodies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't get me wrong--I'm not criticizing lonely people. Heck, I was one myself for longer than I care to admit! Despite my urbane, sophisticated demeanor (LOL), I'm a horribly shy person in Real Life and having a conversation with a total stranger is so stressful that you can't even imagine.

      Delete
  6. Oh my that doll really is something. Yeah def. inspired by the Supremes, and possibly Diana Ross. eek

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a creepy doll!! And you wonder what kind of person owned that!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Tupperware! It makes me miss my grandma making cool summer drinks from some concentrate she used to buy in smallish glass bottles. One time she accidentally broke a full bottle of strawberry when she hit the lid on the counter to try to loosen it. The kitchen looked like the scene of a massacre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I remember those concentrates, though I can't for the life of me remember the name! I will say that Tang tastes even better when mixed in vintage Tupperware!

      Delete