Monday, September 15, 2014

Thrifting Finds #67: Finally!

At long last I have some good news to report.  Or at least I won't do any whining.  How's that?

Can you guess what's coming?  That's right--I actually have some thrift finds to show you this week!  I mean, how long has it been?  A month?  Two?  Too dang long to suit me, anyway.

Plus, Hubs and I went to a new store that we'd never been to before.  Or stores.  Or store.  I'm really not sure which.  Hubs works with a guy who also likes to thrift and he told us about a place down in Silver Spring, or that general area.  We found it, and it's kind of the strangest setup we've seen.

So it's a Value Village.  So far, so good.  But right next door to it, and without any walls or anything separating it, is something called Unique Thrift.

And the two places were mirror images of each other:  each had a housewares section, toys, clothes, etc of its own.  I'm not sure if the checkout aisles were specific to one of the stores or if they were interchangeable.  I might not be making myself clear here (I'm kind of in a rush today), but take my word for it--it was strange.

Not to mention busy.  We went just after noon on Wednesday, and the place was packed.  I shudder to think what it's like on the weekend.

Other than that, we just made our usual rounds.  Here's what I came up with:



1.  Bigass Corningware Roaster!  I thought I had all the Corningware I needed, but I didn't know this existed.  You can't really tell the scale in the picture, but it's enormous.  Seriously, I could roast Honey in this and still have room for potatoes and carrots!
Not that I ever would, of course.  It was kind of a mess when I got it, but it cleaned up nicely.  I'll be using this on Thanksgiving.  Goodwill, $5.00



2.  Old Razor Blades!  Say what?  Yeah, kind of weird, but I've noticed that these injector blades have a huge cult following.  Plus, they often go for crazy money on ebay.  I'm going to try a pack for myself and see what all the fuss is about.  Once I get the razor, of course.  If I like 'em, then I'll keep all three packs.  If not, I'll sell two.  Goodwill, $0.47/ea.


3.  Barbie's MOD'ern Cousin!  At first, I thought this was Barbie, but it's actually her 15-year-old cousin Francie.  I saw her in a plastic bag on the above mentioned Value Village's Wall O' Crap.  I think what I noticed was the brunette hair in the sea of blonde Barbies.  As far as I can tell, she's a 1969 model, which I think makes her vintage.  She seems to be missing a button on her blouse, and one of the buttons on her skirt fell off, but I still have it, so I'll try to attach it.  Value Village, $3.00


4.  The Plate I need!  Yep, finally found one at a price I was willing to pay.  Oh, and just to make it clear, despite the existence of this plate and the two other pieces of Butterfly Gold I bought this year--I do not collect Butterfly Gold.  Period.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Goodwill, $0.48.

And that's it, but this is more than I've had to report in quite some time!  So this week, I'm not ashamed to link up with Sir Thrift A Lot, Thrifter/Maker/Fixer/Farm, We Call It Junkin  and Vintage Bliss Tuesdays

23 comments:

  1. The Francie doll is so sweet! It's always fun to find a new thrift store. I would love it if you link up this post (or any other) at my new Vintage Bliss Tuesdays linky party. Thanks, Jo.

    Here's the link: http://bit.ly/1qWXI1U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Her hair was a mess when I got her, but I manged to tame it somewhat.
      Did the linkup! Thanks for having me.

      Delete
    2. I'm sure she appreciated the hair styling. ;) Thanks so much for linking up. Jo

      Delete
  2. You finally got your plate, yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AND I only paid 48 cents! I still can't get over the ones that were marked three bucks each!

      Delete
  3. Ohhh, good fine on the Butterfly Gold plate. I do collect it and certainly have never found a piece for 48 cents. Great fine! I also love the Corningware Roasting Pan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butterfly Gold seems to be a feast-or-famine thing; for a while, there will be TONS of it in the thrifts. Then for a few months, it'll disappear completely.
      I can't wait to use that roaster--Thanksgiving, here I come!

      Delete
  4. Great finds! Yeah, I buy a lot of dishes I don't collect either, they just seem to multiply. Good eye, spying that Francie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm obsessed with finding vintage Barbies at low low prices!

      Delete
  5. I found one of those roasters at an estate sale a while back with two little casseroles in it, all for a dollar. I'm not sure who they had doing their pricing, since other stuff was crazily overpriced. Not sure if I'll ever use it, but I will use the casseroles. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If nothing else, you can use it as a wading pool LOL!

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you found some nice things at long last!
    Here's hoping the drought for you is Finally over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes! Sure hope you're right!

      Delete
  7. Doesn't it feel good to find something after a drought??? Good for you and a new place to check out, lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does! Unfortunately, I think the new place is a one-off. It's kind of far, a traffic nightmare and in a really sketchy neighborhood--the kind where you find used hypodermic needles on the sidewalk...

      Delete
  8. I need to find a roasting pan like that! It looks perfect.

    Glad you found some good stuff :-)

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I had seen all the Corningware there is, but I never came across that roaster before. I have a somewhat smaller one, but this is a new one on me!

      Delete
  9. Hi,

    I found your blog through Caker Cooking and ended up reading every post. (Who is OCD? I am OCD!)

    Your thrift finds are impressive! The stores here aren't very good, but once in a while I find something interesting. Mostly I have to rely on estate sales for my treasure hunting fixes. At the very least, I usually enjoy the free house tour.

    Can't wait to see what you find next!
    -Kari

    p.s. Arlo the weenie dog says to tell Honey hi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who is OCD? I am OCD!! I've done that with any number of blogs, incuding Caker Cooking.
      The thrifts around here are not very good (you've read all my whiny posts), so when I find something, it's kind of a Big Deal. We don't get many estate sales, and the couple I've been to kind of weirded me out.
      Honey says hi to Arlo! Also, I'm going to need a picture.

      Delete
    2. It's probably dangerous to ask me about my pets, but I think I can restrain myself for a simple photo request. ;) Arlo and the rest of the crew can be seen here: http://www.thenostalgiccook.com/p/cast-members.html

      Delete
    3. That Arlo's a handsome boy. I can perfectly picture him sitting in front of the fan with his ears blowing!

      Delete
  10. LIAR you collect it and now I'm sending you a suitcase full of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't! Don't don't don't! La la la, I can't hear you!

      Delete