Friday, March 15, 2013

Things are going to get interesting around here...

Well.  I seem to be in an all-fired hurry to spend my tax refund.  I'm pretty much spending it all on Chez Fondue and here's the breakdown so far:
  • Electrician is coming out to tell me how much $ to install some boxes and wiring for ceiling fans.   Should the price be acceptable, he will then do the work right then and there, which is kind of awesome.
  • Guy is coming out to fix my squeaky kitchen floor; this has been driving me absolutely crazy for quite some time now.  Really, you've no idea how irritating the sound is.
  • A different guy (I think) is coming out to re-grout my shower.  I could certainly do this myself, but in reading up about the job it looks messy and tedious enough to be worth paying someone else to do it,
  • Verizon dude is coming out to install FiOS.  I have resisted this for quite some time, but they threw a deal at me yesterday that I couldn't turn down:  $59.00 (plus taxes and surcharges, so it's really $77.00) for phone and much faster Internet than I have now, and they're throwing in TV for another 10 bucks a month.  Total is about what I'm paying now for everything, but I get a much better Internet connection in the deal.  Price is good for 2 years.
So here's the kicker:  I'm trying to get everyone out on the same day.  That sounds insane at first blush, but I'm of the opinion that it's better to get everything done at once in one hellish day than to spread it out.  Rip that Band-Aid off.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out where I'm going to hang out while everyone is here working:  I can't use the bedroom or den because--theoretically, anyway--the electrician will be sawing holes in my ceiling.  Verizon guy will be in the guest room installing the FiOS router, so that's out.  One has to go through the kitchen to get to the family room, so I can't do that either.  Living room and dining room are both free, but they're right smack in the middle of things and I kind of want to hide while everyone's there.  So I may end up on the floor in the utility room.  Wherever I end up, there will be a weiner dog on my lap.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the electrical work will be affordable because I really want some ceiling fans.  I even sort of have one picked out:

Marta ceiling fan

Final decision hasn't been made yet, and it would be nice to find a somewhat cheaper one I like since I'll need three of them.

But I'm not going to worry about that just yet. First I need to get through Installation/Repair Day without losing my $hit...

No comments:

Post a Comment